Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Regional 6 DQ
10-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Regional 6 DQ
So, does anyone have more info on the Northville Boys DQ in Regional 6? What I know is the under garment rule was the reason as 4 of the Northville boys had different color under garments. Someone said that they had finished 3rd before the DQ. I know one of their runners was in the top 10, but was Dq'ed. Surprised that the whole team was Dq'ed.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2017, 06:44 PM
RE: Regional 6 DQ
Sorry to hear that, and I'm sure it didn't affect their ability to run, but those are the rules coaches are supposed to tell their kids when the season begins. Would individuals be disqualified for not matching their teammates? If your uniform meets the code for an individual, why should you be penalized for what your teammate wore?

We made a girl change just minutes before the start of our race when we realized she was wearing running tights with 2 different colors on them. It was the first race of the season where the weather really called for a longer layer of underclothing. But we saw all kinds of violations at our meet that weren't called. The weather was really lousy (upper 30's, rain & sleet on and off) so I don't think anyone minded.
10-30-2017, 01:32 PM
Looked at the video I have of the race. Didn't record top 10, but #1 Northville was said to be wearing grey shirt under uniform, 2 others had dark blue, another had black and #7 was wearing Orange. So, do you DQ, #1 & #7 or whole team?
10-31-2017, 08:18 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2017 08:21 AM by gvlakersls.)
Which runners had an undershirt? Once two different colored undershirts were used, all who were wearing one should be disqualified. Any who were not wearing an undershirt are in a legal uniform and should remain in the results.

NHFS rule book, case 4.6.2, situation A on profanity is the closest example I can find. In this case, the athlete who used profanity is disqualified. Others remain inthe results.

If using this case as precedence, if the 5th place Northville finisher did not have an undershirt, he is in a legal uniform and should be allowed to advance.

The casebook example on profanity is accurate. My interpretation and application to the uniform rule is somewhat opinion.

Gary
Heritage Mens & Womens Cross Country and Track
10-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Don't know where the two who didn't wear long sleeve shirts finished, as they DQ'ed the whole team.

Side note; What is the rule on compression socks? Do they have to match also? Ones that cover the entire calf.
10-31-2017, 06:08 PM
Compression sleeves on the calf or arms are not regulated - they are like socks and gloves. Were the Northville kids wearing undershirts or sleeves? Some sources have said sleeves which is a different thing than an undershirt.

Gary
Heritage Mens & Womens Cross Country and Track
10-31-2017, 10:26 PM
In track you'd DQ the entire relay - the only situation where this would matter. Without one relay runner, the team can't score. But in XC, without one team member you can still score as a team.

I don't have the rule book in front of me, but why can't the first runner still run as an individual? Their individual uniform wasn't in violation, as long as they had a solid color undergarment. It was the first teammate after him that didn't match that would be the "violator." This doesn't sit well with me, I understand the rule and I can see the team not competing at state, but the first individual shouldn't be punished.
11-03-2017, 01:59 AM
According to MileSplit, the issue has been resolved as I suggested - the individuals not wearing undershirts, along with the 1st runner that finished wearing an undershirt, were not disqualified. The runners after the first finisher that didn't match the front runner were disqualified for not running as a matching team.

So the subsequent result is that Northville only had 4 matching runners, and didn't score as a team. Their top individual, who was the 5th finisher in the regional, still qualifies for the state finals.

I hate to see kids lose opportunities, but it appears the rule was (finally) applied correctly, or at least to the spirit of the law, if not the letter.

Not point in having the rule if it's not going to be enforced.
11-03-2017, 05:41 PM
Thanks, we have sisters that wear them and they don't want to wear the same color. Glad to hear they are not going to get Dq'd for different colored compression socks.